Friday 25 March 2011

'You said I must eat so many lemons...

After hearing Caroline's a Victim, the first track by Nash back in 2007 (eventually featuring as the B-side on Foundations) I was impressed. Here is a girl who was authentic, spoke her mind in a quirky, happy-go-lucky fashion with a Hackney feel. Everything from her Laaandaaan voice to her vintage fashion was intriguing (thanks Libby!).

Her lyrics very aptly articulate many of the trials and tribulations in our relationship break ups and break downs with a 'whatever' factor, 'get over him he just aint worth it'...so, as with most bands and artists that I avidly listen to, I went to see her (with little sis in tow). Suitably impressed we left feeling slightly happy-go-lucky ourselves. On the return of Nash, touring with her second album 'My Best Friend is You' I decided to make a return visit. Something tells me I should have stayed at home that night. What's that expression? 'First time's a charm'!...playing at the Old Fire Station in Bournemouth, where I was in fact the oldest person there by around ten years, she bounced onto the stage with her all girl band and if I'm honest, made my ears bleed. 

Perhaps I'm getting old, perhaps I make poor judgements, but something has happened to Nash. Gone was the happy-go-lucky-Harrow-bred-beauty and instead she had been replaced by a girl in serious need of some anger management and a bar of soap to wash her potty mouth out with! 

When behind her piano tinkling along to her 'Made of Bricks' classics she was delightful but, sadly that was for all of about four songs. Her teen angst-screw the world new material left me staring at my friend with a 'what the...?' look on my somewhat sad face. Screeching down the mike about her sisters ex boyfriend  and ranting in a rather pretentious (before she used to get away with it) fashion that just, well quite frankly irritated me...

I feel bad, I shouldn't trash the girl, she clearly does have talent, it's just she chose not to use it this time. 

Kate, word of advice, stave off the lemons, there really is no need to be that bitter!


1 comment: