Wednesday 22 February 2012

A brit of a blur...

Sorry for the title...in fact, I'm not sorry, it is true.  The Brit Awards this year have done it to me once again.  As a pathetic lover of all music related shows (not musicals er thank you very much) the Brits (as mentioned is previous post last Feb) is a February highlight of mine.  Imagine my excitement when this year it fell on Shrove Tuesday, or to those out there who are more fond of the title 'Pancake Day'.

So, feeling all snotty, headachy and generally sorry for myself I made a batch of pancakes and set myself up for two hours of glorified music telly.  I have to be honest, I was rather disappointed.  The Brits for me has become synonymous with crazy outfits, stupid antics and outlandish collaborations...Dizzee and Florence, Pet Shop Boys, Gaga and Brandon Flowers, Tom Jones and Stereophonics, you know the score.  So where was our collaboration last night? OK so we had Chris Martin tinkling on the old piano for Noel Gallagher but was that it? Are you kidding me?

It was a fab night for the gingers...Ed and Adele winning what they deserve.  All we needed was a little Florence and her fabulous machine in the mix and it really would have been a ginger takes all evening! I thought the performances were a little dull...the stage antics were a snore and the presenting from James Cordon just a little, well, stiff.

Is this the precedent now? The biggest hype was James cutting off Adele's acceptance speech and it sent Twitter mad...really? Come on.  You lot want more for sure? Granted it was rude and I am sure Damon and his handsome chums would have waited a few more seconds, but I feel it was worth it just to see Adele exercise her best 'bitch-face' and flip the producers the bird!

Award winners, were as always, predictable.  The usual PJ Harvey announcement, Ed and Adele clearing the Brit Award shelves and the rest in the music industry worth everything being left in the background whilst Facebook and Twitter lit up with 'who the hell is that' and 'am I getting old cos I have never heard of Laura Marling/Fleet Foxes/Bon Iver/Lana Del Ray...come on guys.

As for the final performance...well Blur you have still got it (I know this from personal experience, watching them headline Glasto in 2009, it was an epic point in my life), but it was a real shame that you chose not to exercise it last night.

I wonder whether I will tune in next year...chances are I will.  After all, 2012s will remain a Brit of a Blur by then anyways!

No comments:

Post a Comment